So, I’ve been using my Thieves cleaner for awhile now, but for some reason I still kept a stock pile of other cleaners under my kitchen sink just in case. Well, that just in case moment has never come up, so I have finally decided to clean out my cleaning cabinet and completely rid my house of these chemical-filled cleaners!
Household cleaners are paradoxical products… on one hand they are meant to cleanse and purify your home, but on the other hand, they are full of harmful chemicals and toxins!
Just look at a few of the harmful chemicals that were in the products that I was using:
- Phthalates: Phthalates (found in most products that contain ‘fragrance’) are known endocrine disruptors. Although exposure to phthalates mainly occurs through inhalation, it can also happen through skin contact with scented soaps, which is a significant problem because, unlike the digestive system, the skin has no safeguards against toxins… absorbed chemicals go straight to organs.
- 2-Butoxyethanol: Law does not require 2-butoxyethanol to be listed on a product’s label. According to the EPA’s Web site, in addition to causing sore throats when inhaled, at high levels it can also contribute to narcosis, pulmonary edema, and severe liver and kidney damage.
- Ammonia: Ammonia is a powerful irritant and will affect you right away. The people who will be really affected are those who have asthma, and elderly people with lung issues and breathing problems. It’s almost always inhaled. People who get a lot of ammonia exposure, like housekeepers, will often develop chronic bronchitis and asthma. Ammonia can also create a poisonous gas if it’s mixed with bleach.
- MEA (monoethanalomine), DEA (diethanolamine), TEA (triethanolamine): Can react with nitrites to form carcinogenic nitrosamines. Nitrites may be present as preservatives or contaminants in other products, or in some water sources.
Going from about 12 products to one seemed a little strange to me at first. Was one bottle of cleaner really able to do the work, and get the same results, as all of these specialized cleaners?
The answer is YES! My Thieves Cleaner cleans the toilets just as well as my Toilet Brite, leaves the mirrors just as clean and streak-free as the Windex and cuts grime in my shower even BETTER than bleach! It really is a miracle worker.
I couldn’t believe it cleaned as well as the products with all the heavy duty chemicals, so I looked to the bottle to see if there was a catch. I admit, a few of the ingredients sounded a little scary, so I sat down and did a little research.
Here is what’s in Thieves Cleaner (besides all the essential oils!):
- Alkyl Polyglucoside: A non-ionic surfactant derived from sugars. It is admired for its readily biodegradable & foaming properties.
- Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate: It is derived from coconut oil and is a mild, non-drying cleanser. The Cosmetics Database labels it as a surfactant and foaming agent.
- Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate: A high purity, versatile and readily biodegradable chelate based upon L-glutamic acid, a natural and renewable raw material.
Usually, I just dilute a cap or two of cleaner in spray bottles of water (one a little less diluted for surfaces and one a little more diluted for glass cleaner). If you’re feeling fancy, here are a few recipes you can make with your Thieves Cleaner to make it even more effective! Happy Cleaning!
Get your Thieves Cleaner today! Become a member by purchasing your Premium Starter Kit, here, and add on a bottle of Thieves Cleaner. Member benefits include wholesale pricing on oils (that’s 24% off!), monthly promo offers (yay free stuff!) and the choice to enroll in an Essential Rewards program that allows you to earn points on each purchase and use the points for even more free stuff!
If you want to take it slow and just get the Thieves Cleaner, click here. You won’t get the discounts or the free stuff, but you can always become a member at a later date!
As always, feel free to email me with any questions you may have at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to chat with you about how essential oils can benefit YOU!